Friday, September 17, 2010

On the loss of faith and newfound freedom.

Many of my friends and family members have been asking about where I am spiritually. I know it is a confusing thing, my going from missionary girl to whatever I am now. Here is my explanation, and hopefully I can articulate it well enough. This will probably be very long, but it is what it is.

Much of this has to do with John and his journey, and since we are married, our journeys are nearly the same. He and I have many differences; he is logical and I am intuitive, and this is our main difference. But most of the time, it's almost as if we share one mind, one heart. I don't know if most marriages are like that...I think that most people need their personal space from each other, but for us, we are so much better together.

Just to clarify, this did not happen because I was angry at God, or because I wanted something he wouldn't give me or anything ridiculous like that. It happened because my husband and I were seeking Truth. We wanted so desperately to know God, really know him and serve him.

Basically, John had just graduated with his BA in bible and christian ministry or something like that. I don't remember exactly what the degree was. But when he was in his undergrad, he decided to go outside of the bible, and outside of the classroom. He wanted to take on Truth head on. He read counter biblical arguments, biblical criticisms, and the like, because he wanted to know what he was up against. He had firm faith that God and his scriptures were fully Truth, so he held nothing back in his studies. Needless to say, the arguments and proof that he found were difficult to explain away. He continued to have hope, he continued to trust that God would reveal the truth about certain issues, especially when he went to seminary.

We moved to Tennessee so he could go to seminary. I was a little worried about his crisis of faith, but we both had a LOT of hope that things would get cleared up in seminary. John was still trusting the Lord and praying daily with me.

Then one day, it was too much. After coming home from an Old Testament class, he was telling me that he just wasn't able to believe any of it. There was too much evidence against what the bible was saying. Certain stories like the walls of Jericho, couldn't possibly have happened. It just was not possible. There was archeological evidence to the contrary. And if something as amazing as an entire city wall was to just collapse, there would be evidence. And there isn't. So if there are a few things in the bible that aren't true, how do we know if any of it is?

There was a lot of other stuff too, but that is the one part I specifically remember. At first when he told me this devastating news, I was so scared. I had just married and moved across the country with him. We had plans of starting a church and serving together in ministry. What would I do with a husband who was an unbeliever? Had I committed a great sin and married the wrong person? I loved him dearly, but if he is not a christian, how can we be married? I was afraid for my future, and for him. I didn't know what to do. And one night when we were talking in bed, he was in tears over the whole thing. He explained to me that this wasn't his choice. He didn't want to lose his faith. He loved God with his whole heart and only wanted to serve him. But how could he continue serving a God that may or may not be there? Yes, maybe there is a God. But he couldn't trust in the bible. So what could he trust in? Tradition? Sort of, but tradition has some shady things in it's past that you can't firmly trust in. Personal experience? He had had very intimate personal experiences with God...but many people of many faiths, and even within Christianity have had personal experiences with God, and most of them are completely opposite from each other.

It was a huge blow. Here he was, more frightened than he'd ever been, because he'd never been without God. And here I was, just as frightened. Then it occurred to me: maybe my purpose wasn't to be a minister or teacher or missionary or all the things I had wanted to do. Maybe my purpose was to be strong for my husband who would need to count on my faith to get him through this trial. It wasn't my job to worry or complain. It was my job to love him through this.

So I did, the best I could. However, gradually and eventually, I began to change my beliefs as well. Mainly it came in the form of strange biblical passages and learning more about the ancient religions. Did you know that the ancient Hebrews were polytheistic? And that there is a council of gods in the bible? When God appeared to Moses, he told him that he was Yahweh, but that to someone else(his brother or father? I can't quite remember the story just now) he was known as El. It seemed to me that God appeared as different gods. It made me wonder.

Then, what really really did it, was a Chick Tract. It's sort of ironic that something meant to bring people into the Kingdom was actually the final undoing of my hope in Christianity. Anyway, there was this one about Adam and Eve, and Eve sinned. When they sinned, God starting building this brick wall. He hid himself inside this brick cave that he built. He would let some people in, and others were crying standing outside wanting to come in, but God turned away from them. This stunned me. Maybe it was just seeing it illustrated, having the visual for the story. But I just remember thinking how could God be so petty? I realize the doctrinal beliefs about sin and I totally understand the christian thinking behind it. But after seeing that...I just can't believe it anymore. There are so many people in this world who LIVE the fruit of the spirit daily, but who have never heard the name of Jesus before. How can God turn them away because of things that are totally beyond their control?

The thing is, I never really believed that he did. If you have ever read the Chronicles of Narnia, you will know this story: In "The Last Battle", there was a soldier who was fighting for the enemy, the god Tash. He had died and gone on to heaven. Aslan appeared to him. The soldier said something like "How can you take me in? All I've ever done in my life was for Tash. I am a traitor and your enemy" and Aslan replied something like "Although you have done things that you thought were for Tash, they were really for me. Everything you have done was with a pure and loving heart. Tash is not able to receive love or service from a loving and pure heart, just as I am not able to receive from someone with ill motives." That's not exact text, just my paraphrasing.

So I have always had this belief. I have always concluded that God's mercies are beyond our understanding, and that he will judge hearts not by the person's confession of Jesus, but by their motives and understanding.

This, combined with the knowledge of the ancient polytheism, has led me to believe that perhaps, when Jesus came to earth, he came to show us the Father. I think that people for so long had tried to find God. They were polytheistic, creating their own deities. They perhaps knew about God but didn't know what he was like. I think that Jesus may have been God's way of going "You've got it all wrong, guys. *This* is what I am like." Jesus showed us the heart of God. He showed us how to love and be kind, how to be considerate and forgiving. He showed us how to have good relationships and how we can serve God.

But I do not think that a person must know Jesus in order to know God. If a person knows God, then they know God, regardless of knowing the name of Jesus. I realize that this contradicts foundational doctrines about salvation and redemption. But I cannot believe those doctrines anymore. I just can't.

Now, I believe this, but none of my beliefs are set in stone. I will never really know until I die (assuming there is an afterlife, I don't know). But for now, this is something that I can believe in.

I know that some people are scared of what will become of John and I. But please don't be. I am at peace with where we are. In fact, I have so much more freedom, understanding, love and peace now than I ever had as a Christian. I don't have to be scared that I'm ruining God's plan for my life or that I'm hearing him wrong. That is actually a huuuuuge relief! I never really heard God speak to me, and I was always worried that I was doing something wrong. I also have so much freedom to love. I can love people and understand who they are and where they come from without this underlying need to "plant a seed" or "be a witness". My relationships are so much more transparent and non judgmental now. John still worries about death and the afterlife, but me....I have days when I believe and days when I don't. But I figure that if God exists, and if he is loving, then he will receive us because we only did this because we wanted to know him more. We are seeking Truth still, and we always will be.

But please know that neither of us can ever EVER be christians again, at least not the way we were. I cannot believe in biblical inerrancy. I cannot believe in one-way-to-God. But please, please do not be afraid for me. If you believe in God, then trust him to guide us, and leave it at that. Please do not try to reconvert us, because it wont happen.

We just need you to love us and accept us how we are. That is the main thing I have learned from all this. Just love people and accept them how they are. It is such a peaceful way to live.

15 comments:

  1. Excuse me cos I don't know you but I came across this article and it's pathetic.

    I know this could be trampling on your flowery emotions but this is not an explanation of your faith or new found freedom... it's a get out email.

    Faith is grafted in community and you've just gathered together your thoughts and told your friends and family that your opting out of the grand debate. Your opinion to them is now invalidated and theirs to you.

    So well done, you've thrown out religon, but to throw out the lives of those around you! Now grow up, face the challanges to your sheltered life and theology with maturity, friends and violence. Pursue Truth, for that my dear is a noble cause.

    "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, and the glory of Kings to search it out"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Joseph, obviously you didn't understand the concept behind her writing...

    Cristyn, I am in the same spot you are. I, too, have lost my belief in the Christian faith because of things I have learned and experienced. I don't really know what I believe in now; I guess I just believe in pure goodness, being nice to others and good morals but I don't believe I need to pray everyday for forgiveness. I am human and if God or some higher being wanted me to be a perfect creation incapable of sin then he wouldn't have taunted us with a "fruit" in the garden of Eden. My take on the Bible is that it's mostly a book of lessons for us to gather context on but I don't believe everything literally happened in the exact ways mentioned in the bible.

    It's a little scary knowing that I'm no longer a Christian.. I feel like I'm in some sort of limbo.. or like I'm flying through space without any protection where at any time a rock or an astroid can come and hit me- killing me. If that makes any sense... but I do know that living this life is so much more pleasant than before where I had constantly felt belittled, unworthy, and inferior on a daily basis because I didn't pray enough/seek enough/ do enough good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joseph, this blog was not intended to be an article on religion or the loss of faith in the grand scheme of things. It is intended to be an explanation to the people I love about why I personally have lost my faith in mainline Christianity, specifically. I'm not sure why you are calling it pathetic. I'm pouring out my heart to people who, just a couple of years ago, were praying for me and supporting my missionary endeavors. They deserve an explanation of what happened to me. Believe me, I can debate religion with the best of them, and I am fully aware that "faith is grafted in community"...I know all there is to know about it. Please do not assume that I am unintelligent, belligerent, uneducated, or unaware. Community is one of the things I miss most about having a particular faith, and it is something I am seeking, even in the very writing of this blog.

    So please go away and put your insults elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joseph,first of all, how on earth did you come across this blog in the first place?

    Cristyn is not saying we are opting out of the "grand debate", she is saying that hopes of our re-conversion are not really all that realistic.

    I am up to explain to you at any time why the Bible ought to be considered unreliable as a source of truth.

    Furthermore, what is the point of quoting Bible verses at someone who Doesn't Believe In The Bible? At least Paul had it figured out in 1 Cor 3, when he stated "to those without the law I become as one without the law".

    Here is the problem with "The Grand Debate" The problem is that if you really "Seek truth" you will lose the debate. The only way you will "win" is if you resort to shoddy logic and employment of logical fallacies. Then you won't win either, but you will be self-assured that you did.

    Nobody is throwing out the lives of those around us. Nowhere in the blog does it say "sorry dudes, but we are cutting all of you out of our lives". I don't really see where you got that notion in the first place.

    Clearly, the blog is saying "We want friends and family in our lives; we want you to understand this situation we are in and we don't want you to have false hopes that we are going to 'return to the fold'. This isn't a rebellion against God, or any of the other reasons why people 'leave the fold for a time'. This is finding out that there is little credibility for the claims of the Christian faith."

    People who really seek truth, don't commit themselves to a "truth" in the face of a mountain of evidence. That isn't seeking truth, rather doing so is seeking stubbornness.
    People who seek truth are able to hold what they believe to the same standards as anything else in the natural world they happen to believe in.

    People who make special standards for their beliefs in the reliability of the bible, the existence of God, and the accuracy of the Christian faith are seeking stubbornness.

    Those who seek truth will allow whatever they believe to withstand even the fiercest scrutiny.
    Both rejecting archaeology and rejecting biblical errors, or attributing divine inspiration to anything without some reasonable reason for why one is doing so, isn't seeking truth. It is seeking fantasy. If faith is real it ought to be able to handle honest scrutiny.

    If someone wants honest debate, then that is something I would be glad to sit down with them and provide. However, most Christians just try to make "suggestions" in order to "plant seeds". That isn't a debate anyway. And it gets annoying.

    If someone wants to talk about the issue with us, all they need to do is say "I want to talk to you about this", and then they need to focus on understanding exactly where we are coming from before they attempt to use reason to "bring us back"

    But the bad attempts to plant seeds are just a bit annoying. If anyone wants to approach us according to the 1 Corinthians 3 method of meeting people at their level of understanding, then they are welcome. If someone wants to ignore 1 Corinthians 3's method of witnessing, they are encouraged not to witness. Plain and simple enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eh, 1 Cor 9, it's a multiple of 3. Close enough right?

    "18What then is my reward? That in my preaching I may present the gospel free of charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel.

    19For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them. 20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law. 21To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. 23I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings." 1 Cor 9:18-23 ESV

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Nati: Yes, i totally know what you mean. It feels a little loney, unsafe and unprotected. But at the same time, I kind of feel like whatever happens, happens. Where as before, I was always so worried that I would do, say, or even just *think* the wrong thing and everything would go off track. Now, I don't believe that God is guiding my every movement, and therefore I am not scared to make a wrong decision. Life is what it is, and things happen as they happen. But yes, at times, and the times are more and more seldom, I do get a little worried, like no one is there to protect me. But really, I was always so scared that it was God's plan for something to go wrong with me, that now I feel more relieved than scared about the whole thing.

    I hope that you are able to find some peace on the issue. John and I are always here if you need to talk. But you know that. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. dear joseph.

    if you believe yourself to be a christian, you just made a "pathetic" example at displaying your beliefs.

    i may or may not have agreed with what my dear friend mrs kelly has written, but i will never go on telling her she's "pathetic" to her face, or here behind the comfort of my glowing computer screen ... i guess it is easier for you "cos" you don't know her at all!

    what if your best friend or parent or sibling had reason to renounce everything YOU believed in... how easy would that be? would you call them pathetic? or do you have more sympathy because you KNOW their journey? you'd probably do a lot less insulting and a lot more praying...

    it's really bad to have that "i am superior and they are the savage" mentality - like so many people say you better spend a day walking in someone their shoes... whatever will you do if they happen to be barefoot in human waste?!

    best be rinsing out your mouth there joseph, i don't think you noticed there was caca on your toes before you stuck your foot in your mouth.

    less words, more love, baby.

    (ps, i hope you do some serious searching if you are considering going into any form of counselling or 3rd world ministry. you'll meet a lot of people with "pathetic" ideas, and if you for one minute try and tell them how it is... you'll be running for the scope!)

    -heidi

    ReplyDelete
  8. also, heidi_guns@hotmail.com is my email if you want to take it outside... or webside... or even WEST SIDE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. cristyn -
    i completely and 100 % respect where you are coming from. and as your john said, "People who make special standards for their beliefs in the reliability of the bible, the existence of God, and the accuracy of the Christian faith are seeking stubbornness."
    it is downright silly to believe the Bible 100% word for word and look to it as the ultimate manual for life and truth.
    as it would be silly to regard any document written by so many, translated, re-translated, and it just being so oooold.
    i would not consider myself a "christian" by mainstream standards. my family and I do attend a church, because, like you mentioned, the community of people who love God is an appealing and safe place for us to be. I love that my children can play with other children while I sit with my husband and sing and listen to the pastor speak. Our pastor is somewhat of a realist, and it's refreshing to me as one who can no longer stand the bright lights, massive mega bands and stages, and faux-hawks found in the modern day services of the mega church.
    from being in a church again (which it has taken me years to do) i have gained a lot, and no longer judge people, because i no longer believe all the things they do. there is no competition or comparison, and it's very refreshing and good.

    i have struggled so much with "what do i believe." and after ywam, i had to start over from square one. SUPER SCARY!
    and after many years of tears, "waywardness", confusion, fear, and unbelief, i have come to the conclusion that:
    a) i do believe in god
    b) i love people, and want to treat them with love, respect, and kindness
    c) (from your blog), "...I do not think that a person must know Jesus in order to know God. If a person knows God, then they know God, regardless of knowing the name of Jesus."


    that's about all i have right now. and it's been great. and i love you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. cristyn -
    i completely and 100 % respect where you are coming from. and as your john said, "People who make special standards for their beliefs in the reliability of the bible, the existence of God, and the accuracy of the Christian faith are seeking stubbornness."
    it is downright silly to believe the Bible 100% word for word and look to it as the ultimate manual for life and truth.
    as it would be silly to regard any document written by so many, translated, re-translated, and it just being so oooold.
    i would not consider myself a "christian" by mainstream standards. my family and I do attend a church, because, like you mentioned, the community of people who love God is an appealing and safe place for us to be. I love that my children can play with other children while I sit with my husband and sing and listen to the pastor speak. Our pastor is somewhat of a realist, and it's refreshing to me as one who can no longer stand the bright lights, massive mega bands and stages, and faux-hawks found in the modern day services of the mega church.
    from being in a church again (which it has taken me years to do) i have gained a lot, and no longer judge people, because i no longer believe all the things they do. there is no competition or comparison, and it's very refreshing and good.

    i have struggled so much with "what do i believe." and after ywam, i had to start over from square one. SUPER SCARY!
    and after many years of tears, "waywardness", confusion, fear, and unbelief, i have come to the conclusion that:
    a) i do believe in god
    b) i love people, and want to treat them with love, respect, and kindness
    c) (from your blog), "...I do not think that a person must know Jesus in order to know God. If a person knows God, then they know God, regardless of knowing the name of Jesus."


    that's about all i have right now. and it's been great. and i love you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find this so terribly sad...I feel a little ill.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Cristyn!

    This post made me think of de-conversion testimony that I posted on ex-christian.net three years ago. Here's the link in case you want to read it: http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?/topic/16716-if-im-not-a-christian-what-am-i/page__p__280609__hl__stina__fromsearch__1#entry280609

    Of course I've changed since then. Now I feel very comfortable saying I'm not a Christian and to the question who am I? Well, I'm Stina. I'm just me, flawed, but trying to live with a spirit of love. I've felt so much more comfortable in my own skin since I left Christianity.

    Anyway, keep posting! I love reading your blog. Have you read ours? It's about our hitchhiking adventures and travels. buskingjourney.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stina, I just read your post that you linked. I kind of feel the same way...I don't want to stop calling myself a christian, because I still identify with christianity so much. But in the sense that most people are christians, I am not one. I don't believe in the inerrancy of the bible (which actually shouldn't be a prerequisite for christianity since there wasn't even a bible at all for the first couple centuries, and there are denominations today who don't believe it is inerrant.) And I don't necessarily believe that Jesus is the only way to God. But I kind of believe that in a more philosophical sense. I dunno. Maybe I'll be more comfortable about the issue in time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That random poster is a douche also.

    ReplyDelete