Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A bit of an addition...

It came to my attention after my last post, in the form of an annoying unknown observer named Joseph, who decided it was OK to come in, insult me, and leave, that some people may have taken some sentiments in the wrong way.

I didn't mean to say or imply in any way that I am closed to any communication about spiritual matters. John and I are both very interested in open minded and heartfelt conversations about religion, philosophy, politics, and just about anything. I love talking about controversial and personal topics. Neither of us have any problems at all with genuine conversations and genuine questions about our beliefs. We don't even have any problems with, and are open to hearing other people's religious convictions.

We *want* community with our family and friends. We *want* open communication and dialogue with all of you. What we *don't* want, is people trying to reconvert us. We don't want people who might have an underlying agenda of "planting a seed", to talk to us about God. If you are genuinely curious about where we are, and want to have an open and honest conversation about God, religion and spirituality, we are all for it. What we don't want is anger, frustration, sadness, pity, bitterness, or anything that would stop you from truly hearing us and understanding us.

We know that a lot of people we love are very concerned for the whereabouts of our souls after we die, and we do not want that to be your main objective in talking to us. I'm sure you all know that we both know very well what the Christian doctrines are, and have both walked with the Lord. This is not a case of never-really-knew or thought-we-were-saved-but-we-didn't-really-know-God. As far as we were concerned, we both loved the Lord with all our hearts, minds, souls, and spirits. If you had asked either of us a few years ago if we ever thought we would not be christians, we would have wholeheartedly said "no!" and I think that those of you who truly know us, know that.

Anyway, again, I didn't mean to imply that we want to cut off communication on the subject. All I meant was to say...please don't try to witness to us. We both have been on the giving end of witnessing for many years, and we can smell it 10 miles away. It isn't what we want, it isn't what we need, and it isn't going to make us believe again.

Love, honesty, compassion and a bit of open mindedness however, just might help us. Also, we both want you all to know that even if you can't hold yourself back and slip into "plant a seed" mode, we will call you out, but we still love you, and we know you can't always help yourselves. We respect that you believe what you believe, and only ask for the same. :D

3 comments:

  1. I read your post below and this post as well and I only have one question out of sheer curiosity, Do you both still believe that God exists or have you become atheists? I'm not asking because I want grounds on which to judge you or try to minister to you, i'm only asking as i said out of curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At this point, I am not sure. I think I believe that there is a God or some kind of driving force in the universe...it's really hard not to believe that on some level. I still very much identify with the Judeo-Christian version of God, but I'm not really sure. John is on the verge of atheism. He desperately hopes that there is a God, but has a difficult time finding any reasons to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well written post. it breaks my heart to think that 'christians' have soured your experience of God so very much. at the same time, recognizing that christians are fallen human beings who make mistakes, sometimes very big mistakes. it makes it very hard to believe that God is there and that He is Good. keep exploring, that is the very best thing you can do. your openness and honesty is compelling. many of us do not have the courage to voice our struggles and doubts at all.

    ReplyDelete