Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Eye of the Hurricane.

It recently came to our attention that the financial aid from school that we were counting on this summer is non existent. This has put us in a pickle, because now we don't have money for rent, bills, or food.

The plan now is to sell our car. Our beloved Suzuki, who never even had a proper name. I always name my cars- there was Humphrey, the old Volvo, Satine, the Ford Probe, Matilda, my silver camry, Blueberry, John's blue camry, Fezzik, our beastly dodge in Tennessee. Then, as a timely and much needed gift, came the Suzuki. She got us through our last months in the unbearable Appalachian "mountains", and she drove us across the hills, deserts, and forests, back to the northwest where we belong.

I am very very sad about having to get rid of this car. In some way it feels like a security. Like, if I only have a dependable vehicle, then I wont ever get stuck somewhere. I'll be able to go when I need to go. Maybe I'm depending too much on tangible, material things.

In any case, selling her is the only option at this point. We will use the money we get from the car to pay the fee to get out of our apartment lease 6 months early, and move into a more reasonably priced living arrangement. Moving away from downtown makes me sad, too. I love it here. I love living in walking distance to the Puget Sound, the Pike Place market, Westlake, and a billion coffee shops and restaurants. But, we are looking for a place to live in Wallingford, hopefully also within walking distance to a grocery store, and more than likely coffee shops. I mean, really....it's Seattle. You're hard pressed to find a place within city limits where you aren't within a few blocks of fresh brewed coffee. Also, living in Wallingford will allow me to walk to work, which will be convenient.

The plan is that when we are paying about half of what we pay for rent now, we will be able to save up money pretty quickly for a new car. Well, not a new new one, but one that will do for us. It was fun for a while to live beyond our means and pretend to be middle class. I've never been middle class before, and I'm going to be sad to leave it. Maybe I'll get there again someday.

I don't know why it is so hard for me to let go of this lifestyle. I've grown so accustomed to it. I mean, it's not like I'm out shopping and getting manicures every day. Actually I haven't been clothes shopping since I was planning my wedding. So maybe that's something I can do now that we will have a little bit of extra money since it wont all be going towards rent. But still, I am sad to move. I am sad to sell the car. All of this change is giving me anxiety....maybe it's just the constant moving around that I don't like. I haven't been able to unpack...I mean really unpack and settle in...since before I graduated high school. My whole adult life has been living out of a suitcase, and I am so ready to unpack. But even with this move, I wont be able to. We are only looking for a short lease, so that we can move somewhere more permanent soon.

Bah...aren't you supposed to be settled and all that by the time you are 30? I still feel like a child in that I don't really have a career, who knows if we'll ever buy a house, we have no children, we are still in school...I mean really, it's time to grow up. Wait. Maybe that's the reason I'm having such a hard time with all this. We have a real, grown up apartment, and a real, grown up car. Maybe I feel like I'm regressing a bit by all of this. But on the other hand, maybe we are making an adult decision. We are making a responsible choice. We are saving up money for our family's future.

Who cares if we don't have the fanciest place to live or the fanciest car or the fanciest job? I mean for crying out loud, John is going to get a doctorate. None of my friends are married to PhD's. It wont be for a while, but he's working on it. So why am I comparing myself to everyone else just because they have mortgages and car loans?

Come to think of it, I am glad that we are living a simple life. We will be able to teach our children how to live simply and to make a small mark on the environment. We will be able to be pretty much debt free, and use our money for good things rather than making the fat man richer. And I'll still get to enjoy sitting in quiet coffee shops.

But we might need to bum a ride once in a while from friends who are willing. :D

2 comments:

  1. I'm so enjoying your blog! I think you are making the grown-up, responsible choices. Having a fancy place and a car just eats up money, and who needs that kind of stress? Brendan and I have been carless for about five years now, and three of those were in Seattle. My work paid for a bus pass, which was really nice, but otherwise we car-pooled and walked.

    I lived in Wallingford for about six months and it was pretty cool. I prefer Beacon Hill, though. It's just up a hill from the International District and once you're in the ID it's a short walk to the ride-free bus zone. It's only got two coffee shops, but it's a cozy neighborhood that is close to the busy-ness of the city but with it's own quiet feel. And the rent is a lot cheaper than many other neighborhoods. We paid $760 per month for a one bedroom apartment with a decent sized kitchen and a nice big living room. Something to consider!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we actually didn't end up selling the car, and we still live in Belltown. We love it here, and I'm very thankful for our little suzuki. It'll last us a long time, and it's nice to not have to worry about car trouble and how to get someplace. We pretty much decided to not move to Wallingford after our lease is over, because there really isn't much to do there. I would love to live near Green Lake, but we will see. We are also thinking of buying a super cheap condo probably in a way more ghetto area like someplace in Lynnwood. But we have until the end of January to decide what to do now. Our money issues aren't gone really, but we've figured out how to make it work downtown, which I am happy about. :D

    ReplyDelete